Truck Update: 10/14/18

  • Fabricated plates to secure center dash panel
  • Drilled and tapped center dash panel
  • Painted plates to secure center dash panel
  • Researched and selected fuse upgrade for winch wiring
  • Purchased hole saw for mounting deadbolt in passthrough door
  • Started bond prepping passthrough door parts
  • Marked out deadbolt location on passthrough door
  • Finished center dash panel installation
  • Sealed backup camera electrical connectors
  • Replaced backup camera bolts with proper grip
  • Secured air lines and wires on chassis
  • Cleaned and photographed data tags on pneumatic system
  • Cleaned underneath dash on driver side: brake, clutch, etc.
  • Researched air dryer cold climate systems
  • Drilled passthrough door deadbolt lock hole
  • Dry assembled and prepped passthrough door
  • Primed all passthrough door parts with Sika 205 activator
  • Final assembled passthrough door using Korapop 225
  • Masked and RTV sealed cab side passthrough frame
  • Measured for dynamat
  • Researched fusible links for house batteries
  • Cleaned passthrough bellows material
  • Prepped and cleaned passthrough frame
  • Installed passthrough bellows
  • Trimmed excess passthrough bellow material
  • Tested bonding passthrough material (EPDM) with Lord adhesive 7545 – mediocre bond strength
  • Installed passthrough door hinges
  • Trimmed passthrough door for better fit
  • Installed passthrough door
  • Started comparing hab interior structure options
  • Tested bonding passthrough bellow material (EPDM) with cyanoacrylate (super glue) – very good bond strength
  • Added weather stripping to passthrough door
  • Marked location of striker plate on passthrough door jam
  • Trimmed and bonded passthrough bellows
  • Installed passthrough door lock
  • Cut strike plate hole in passthrough door frame
  • Trimmed passthrough door hinge pin to length
  • Disposed of unneeded composite panel
  • Disposed of leftover roof rack material

A note about bonding passthrough bellows:

We got our passthrough bellows from Uni-grip, but they are also available from other suppliers like Total Composites. The bellows are made out of EPDM high density foam rubber. EPDM can be a little tricky to bond, and we tried several adhesives in tests. Cyanoacrylate (super glue) was by far the best and in tests; the rubber failed before the adhesive/bond. It’s actually pretty tricky to bond all of the corrugated bellows surface at the same time, so we found that the only practical way to bond the bellows was to bond one pleat at a time. We trimmed the bellows for a 1 1/4″ overlap.

Advertisements